Whether you want to teach your dog to enjoy a crate, go to mat and stay, hold a dumbbell for Competitive Obedience, teach a service dog to open or close a door, a front for Rally, a position for Canine Freestyle, or a fun trick, shaping can get you there!
What is Shaping?
Shaping is an amazingly effective and wildly fun training technique which not only teaches your dog specific behaviors, but actually teaches him how to learn. Remember the “Hot/Cold” game when you were a child? We use a clicker to play a sophisticated version of this game with dogs. You’ll never forget the first time you witness your dog’s “light bulb moment” during a shaping exercise!
Why learn to Shape?
- Shaping builds confidence in dogs
- Shaping builds observation, timing, and reinforcement skills in the handler—it’ll make you a better trainer
- Shaping is great mental stimulation for dogs — a five minute shaping session can tire a dog’s brain as much as a forty-five minute walk tires her body
- Shaping encourages creativity and communication from both parties in the training equation—the handler and the dog
- Shaping-savvy dog/handler teams can train very complex behaviors quickly and easily
Watch a Shaping video
Date: April 28-29, 2018 in Hayesville, North Carolina (workshop full)
For: All dog enthusiasts
Duration: 2 days (Saturday & Sunday 9:30 to 4:30)
Class size: 8 working spots; 8 observer spots
Meals: Lunch included Saturday & Sunday
CEUs: Waiting on approval
Shaping Working Spot: $295
Download our Shaping Registration Form and please note the workshop cancellation policy: Your workshop tuition is 75% refundable if you cancel 120 days or more prior to the workshop start date; 50% refundable if you cancel 60 days prior to workshop start date; 25% if you cancel 30+ days prior; non-refundable if you cancel less than 30 days out.
← The Shape of Things to Come! Details